Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rental Business: Should Closing Date be Postponed in this Case or should I just ask for a price reduction?

Hi,





I have an accepted offer to purchase a 4-plex. Initially the seller's RE agent mentioned all units are being occupied. However, I only received 3 tenant acknowledgments today and found out from him that one apartment is vacant.





If I knew one unit is vacant I would not agree to close end of this month but rather end of next month in order to allow enough time to find a new tenant. Should I ask to postpone closing day by one month? does it complicate things financing-wise or not really?


(I do not even have to purchase as I did not waive conditions yet.)





OR does it make more sense to just ask the owner to adjust the price for us, say $2000 reduction?


THANKS.Rental Business: Should Closing Date be Postponed in this Case or should I just ask for a price reduction?
Great, a chanter.





Why ask repeatedly?





No, you should nott ask for a reduction, the building value is not changed a dime, you are buying the exact same thing.





Renters re humans, not fixtures, and are not treated as such.Rental Business: Should Closing Date be Postponed in this Case or should I just ask for a price reduction?
You have a signed contract for a specific purchase price. You cannot ask to change that price after you %26amp; the seller have both signed the contract. You could ask to extend the closing but there's no guarantee that there will be a tenant moving in on the first of next month. Plan on closing as scheduled and ask the agent to see if the seller is trying to rent it.
You get NO reduction, unless your offer to purchase specifically indicates that all four units are occupied and must remain so on closing date. You are buying a property, and the property doesn't include tenants.





Depending on what sort of contingencies you have outstanding, you MAY be able to get out of your contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment